Choosing a midwife for your child’s birth is a deeply personal decision that should be made by both you and your partner. Midwives have an amazing capability to create an air of calmness while providing medical services as trained professionals.
When choosing a midwife, it is important that you understand what your needs are and that they balance well with your desires when going through labor. While it is ideal to have a perfect match between the two, the health and safety of you and your child should and will always be the priority.
Here are some common questions to ask before choosing a midwife. These questions are designed to help you gain an insight into the professional skills of a midwife while making sure your values and desires align well with each other.
- What has your training consisted of and how many births have you been a part of?
- How much of a hands-off approach do you take?
- How do you view working with other healthcare professionals, such as physicians and nurses?
- Do you get involved with the care prior to labor? Do you stay involved in the postpartum stage?
- What types of birthing complications are you qualified and prepared to manage?
- Where do you feel most comfortable delivering a baby?
- What type of feed should I anticipate when considering all facets of care, from pre-labor to postpartum?
- When do you get involved with the delivery and under what circumstances?
- How do you respond to a birth emergency and what has your experience been when dealing with such emergencies?
- Are you always available for consultation/contact?
- If labor is premature, will you still be available to be in the room?
- What equipment do you incorporate into a delivery?
- What checks do you routinely perform, if any, during labor?
- If we are doing an at-home delivery, who would you contact in the event of an emergency and would you stay with me if I had to be transported to the hospital?
- Who can catch the baby?
- What care will you provide for the newborn and for how long will you stay involved?
- Can you give me references from other mothers with whom you’ve worked previously?
While these are general questions that should help you gain an insight into the type of professional you will be working with, it is expected that you and your partner will have other questions specific to your wants and needs as a couple.
Do not be afraid to ask questions and do not worry about interviewing multiple midwives while you find the best personal fit for you. At the end of the day, this is an extremely special moment in your and your family’s life. Never feel as though you must settle when choosing a midwife to work with.
The City of Oaks Difference
City of Oaks Midwifery is a practice of certified nurse-midwives (CNMs) that offers full-scope midwifery services to patients in Raleigh and the greater Triangle area. We serve our patients utilizing the very best, evidence-based models of wellness care, which includes individualized and holistic birth experiences among other services.
We operate in collaboration with the physicians at Capital Area OB/GYN and Raleigh OB and–a system that allows easy access to more specialized care when needed. We offer delivery at UNC Rex Healthcare in Raleigh. Working as a team, our providers are able to offer truly comprehensive care.
Schedule an appointment to meet our providers and tour our office by calling (919) 351-8253.