As you get closer to your due date, it’s a good idea to start thinking about your hospital bag. Your hospital bag will be filled with the various items you need for before, during, and after you give birth. So, what exactly should you keep in your hospital bag? Here’s a packing list to get you started.
- Toiletries: Pack all of the toiletries you need to feel clean and good. These may include your toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, hair ties, shampoo, and conditioner. You may also want some face wipes as well as some dry shampoo.
- Skin Care Products and Makeup: If you typically wear makeup and know you’ll feel “naked” without it, be sure to pack your foundation, blush, mascara, and other makeup must-haves. You may also want to pack your skincare products and some extra moisturizer as your skin will likely need an extra boost of hydration.
- A Nursing Bra: Try to find a comfortable nursing bra (or a couple) that you can wear after you deliver. If you prefer to go braless because you may nurse frequently, you can skip this item.
- Snacks: The truth is that having a baby will make you hungry and you may want something other than the hospital food offered to you. Pack your favorite snacks like trail mix, crackers, or granola bars.
- Comfortable Clothing: You’ll be craving comfortable clothes while you recover. Pack some yoga or loose lounge pants, a nursing tank top, a cozy sweater, and/or a bathrobe. Make sure the clothes you pack provide you with the support you need in your sensitive areas after pregnancy.
- Pads, Undies, and Diapers: While the hospital may provide you with some pads and mesh underwear to help you recover from giving birth, you may find your own pads, undies, and diapers to be more comfortable. Don’t be afraid to pack some high waisted underwear or “granny panties”- you’ll be glad you did!
- Entertainment: You never know how long the labor and delivery process will take so it only makes sense to pack entertainment to help you relax and pass time. Pack your favorite books, magazines, or even your tablet with some TV shows you like.
Contact City of Oaks Midwifery
With these items in your hospital bag, you are sure to feel more comfortable and confident before, during, and after you deliver your precious baby. If you have further questions on hospital bag must-haves, don’t hesitate to contact us today. Call (919) 351-8253 to make an appointment at one of our three offices in Raleigh, Clayton, or Cary, NC. You can also request an appointment online.